Sunday 8 January 2012

Hot & Cold Pillows

Happy New Year everyone!



It occured to me recently that I haven't made a plain old granny square since I was crocheting with my Nanna as a girl, so in need of a quick fix I decided to make a granny pillow.  I enthusiastically produced 16 squares, deciding to sew them together instead of join as I go, as I prefer the flat and solid effect for a pillow front.


Lovely, I thought...  I wonder what others have made on ravelry...?  I think I'll just have a look...  ...  ...

Oooooo... Summer Garden Granny Square... http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/summer-garden-granny-square.html I like that, and my sneaky enthusiasm abandoned all thoughts of a plain old granny pillow and forced me to make summer garden granny squares instead!  Not in a totally haphazard way however... no, I wanted to put some planning into the colour selection beforehand, and I decided to separate my colours into 'hot' and 'cold' colours.


I decided to make the squares in cold colours, including charcoal and white, and then use hot colours to frame them afterwards.  And the result was -






I put the pillow together in the same was as my Groovy Granny Pillow, http://colourinasimplelife.blogspot.com/2011/11/groovy-granny-pillow.html but I edged it with reverse single crochet, or crab stitch.  Mum has taken such I shine to it that it now lives with her...

Not content with this, my urges then forced me to try again, this time using hot colours for the circles, cold colours for turning the circles into squares, and then finishing off with hot colours again to frame everything. 





Overall I am really pleased by how they have turned out, and I may well try some more, reversing the hot and cold colour combinations.

Away from crochet I start a new job next Monday, near to Stranraer in Scotland, so I move up there on Thursday...  I hope that I settle there; the location is certainly picturesque and I'll be living very near to a gorgeous loch.  I'll post pics when I'm settled.

In the meantime, happy crafting!
xxx

23 comments:

  1. lovely pillow! and good luck with your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love all that colour going on!
    Hugs Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't decide which is my favourite... they are both great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH, love both the cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful cushions love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AY!!!!que colores más bonitos,es muy rechulo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice pillows and beautiful colors.Love them all.Granny patterns always gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I stop by your blog, I always say, "Oh, My!". The colors are gorgeous and everything is just beautiful. I love both your pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck to you dear Karen!! Both pillows are gorgeous and the finitions are jsut perfect!
    B-U-T-ful!! love it!!
    bisoudisou

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Karen,

    I found your blog today and now i am a follower of your blog. You make a wonderful crochetwork and I love all your colorful works here. Thank you so much that share your work here!
    I wish you a colourful 2012 and send you many Greetings,
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my!!!! When I complete what I am working on this just has to be my next WIP. So adore your colour selection! What yarn and colours did you use for the garden pillow x

    ReplyDelete
  12. O what A nice pillows you made. They are very nice with all those colours. Many thanks to let us enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with your new job and welcome to Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just spotted your gorgeous cushion on i-crochet! Absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way you thought out your colors. The results are beutiful!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stranraer? We spend our first holiday there. (Two Germans with 2 little children thinking about moving to Scotland :))
    It was lovely! And now we live at Loch Ness.
    Greetings from there
    Shippy

    P.S. lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So nice and adorable those pillows. When I see them I also wanted to start one. But unfortenley we have already so much pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  18. vidalista 40 contains 40mg of Tadalafil as its active ingredient. Tadalafil is a medication that loosens up smooth muscles in vein dividers in this manner improving blood flow to certain body parts.

    * cenforce 150 reviews
    * stendra doses
    * tadalista 20
    * buy careprost

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will always let you and your words become part of my day because you never know how much you make my day happier and more complete. There are even times when I feel so down but I will feel better right after checking your blogs. purchase essays online You have made me feel so good about myself all the time and please know that I do appreciate everything that you have

    ReplyDelete
  20. I trully appretiate your work and tips given by you is helpful to me. I will share this information with my family & friends. This is a great website, keep the positive reviews coming. This is a great inspiring .help with assignment writing uk I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. I am looking to reading your next post. !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If we are going to talk about murals, it is a harsh reality that there are people who do not appreciate artworks like this. I fell bad, but there is less that I can do; I want them to realize that murals are beautiful and worth appreciating. But I simply don't know where to start. Sometimes, I think of writing as my way to influence people to appraiser things that should be appreciated. pay to write my dissertation I don't know if that is going to be effective, but I want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete